How to Decide If You Need to See a Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Specialist

If you have any of these symptoms, it is time to see an orthopaedic foot and ankle specialist:

  • Pain that persists for more than 72 hours

  • Swelling of one leg or foot that persists for more than 24 hours

  • Pain which increases with exercise or walking

  • Pain at rest or with elevation of the legs

  • Sudden progression of a foot deformity

  • Any infection

  • Development of a blister or ulcer on the foot which you did not feel occurring or which is not healing

  • A flattening of the arch of one foot or both feet

  • Loss of sensation

Click here to find a specialist in your area.

The American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (AOFAS) offers information on this site as an educational service. The content of FootCareMD, including text, images and graphics, is for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses or treatments. If you need medical advice, use the "Find a Surgeon​" tool at the top of this page or contact your primary doctor.